Friday, May 25, 2012

Food Friday- Japanese Curry


I'm kind of cheating with this recipe, since it basically comes in a box.  But if you haven't had Japanese Curry, you really need to try it.

Ingredients:
  Chicken or Beef
Curry
Optional: Potatoes, Onion, and/or Carrot

First, get yourself a box of sauce mix.  I used Vermont Curry, but the most popular brand I've seen is Golden Curry.   Check your local grocery or Asian grocery to see what they have.  Honestly, they all taste about the same to me.  And even though I used the "Hot" curry, I really can't tell that it's even supposed to be spicy. 

Next, cook your chicken or beef in a deep pan.  I usually only use about half the amount of meat they say to on the box, since I'm only feeding two people.  But if you need more, add the amount recommended.

 Once your meat is thoroughly cooked, add the amount of  water specified on the box.  Curry mixes come in various sizes, so just be sure to add the appropriate amount for the amount of meat you are cooking. 

 Now, add your potatoes, carrots, and onions (I do not care for onions, so I left them out).   I added canned potatoes and carrots, but you can certainly add fresh.  Cover, turn the heat down to medium low, and let simmer for about 20 minutes.  This will make the meat nice and tender.

 After 20 minutes are up, you're ready to add the sauce mix.  It comes in a little package like this.

 When you open it up, you're going to say "hey this looks like a chocolate bar"!  Yes it does look like chocolate, but it certainly doesn't smell like it.  It has a very rich, spicy aroma.

 Now take your pan off of the heat and break your curry bar up and put in the pan.  Stir until the chunks dissolve.

 Move your pan back to the heat and warm just until thicken.  This will happen very quickly.  If it gets too thick, just add a little more water.

That's it!  This is a simple super yummy meal that is great for a busy night.  I serve it with plain white rice. 
Enjoy!
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I read each and every one and it really means a lot to me when people take the time to read my little blog. So please comment away! =)