Friday, June 22, 2012

Food Friday- Frozen Strawberry Dessert


My husband and I got a whole big container of strawberries the other day, so I thought I would make a dessert out of some of them.  I didn't want to just make strawberry shortcake, so I went to Pinterest to find something else.  I came across this recipe from Pip & Ebby and decided to try it!  Here's what you'll need...

Ingredients
8 Graham Crackers (whole)
10 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
Coarsely chop 2 cups of hulled strawberries

*Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees*

 First, grind up those graham crackers in a food processor.  If you don't have one, your blender should do the trick.  Process them until finely ground.

 Next, melt the butter in a bowl.  Add the brown sugar, flour, and graham cracker dust.  Stir until mixed.  Pour this mixture onto a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and spread evenly.  Stick this in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes.  Stir up the mixture about half way through.  It should look like a crumble mixture.


 While your crust is in the oven, combine your egg whites and sugar in a bowl (you can also use an egg white substitute if raw eggs freak you out).  Mix with a hand mixer on medium for about 3 minutes.
Add your heavy cream and mix on medium for another 6 minutes.  
Add your cream cheese and mix on low until creamy.

 Now, cut up your fresh strawberries into relatively small pieces.  You can also use frozen strawberries, just thaw them out first so you can cut them up.

 Dump your strawberry pieces into your fluffy mixture and gently fold in.

 Now, dump about half of your crust mixture into an 8x8 greased baking dish.  If the mixture is still hot, let it cool to room temperature or stick in the fridge for a few minutes to cool it down.  Make sure the bottom of the dish is completely covered.  I even mashed mine down a little to create more of a real crust.

 Dump your fluffy mixture onto your crust and spread evenly.

 Add your remaining crust mixture on top.  Now cover this baby up with aluminum foil and stick in the freezer for at least 3 hours.

This is the final result!  It reminds me of those strawberry shortcake frozen popsicle bars, only better.  It is kind of hard to eat since it's frozen (I kinda just picked mine up and ate it).  It has a cheesecake taste to it as well.  Very yummy for a hot summer day!!!


1 comment :

  1. Alex would love this! He LOVES strawberries. Okay, yeah I like em' too!

    Meg @ guppyandwhaleshark.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I read each and every one and it really means a lot to me when people take the time to read my little blog. So please comment away! =)