Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My New Favorite Thing- Coconut Oil


So I'm starting a new series here on the blog called "My New Favorite Thing".  I always seem to find new things and get completely obsessed with them for a while before I move on to something else.  I'll probably cover a lot of things that are not necessarily new, but just new to my.  And I like to share the things I like!

I know coconut oil has been popular for a while now and I'm just now hopping on the bandwagon.  But seriously, it's the best thing ever.  My obsession with coconut oil started with a recipe for homemade deodorant (recipe here).  I used the recipe with baking soda and cornstarch.  And you might be asking yourself, like my husband did, why in the world would you make your own deodorant?  Well, it's bothered me for a while how many chemicals are in beauty products.  If you take a look at your store bought deodorants and lotions, they all contain a ton of crap, the worst being aluminum.  So I tried out this recipe using coconut oil and I've been using it for a few weeks now.  I've put it to the test by running 3 days a week and I can honestly say that it works way better than anything I've ever bought.  

With the great success of my deodorant, I looked for more things to make.  I used this recipe to make some lotion.  I used olive oil, coconut oil, beeswax, and some of my Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab oil.  It turned out great, but I did an extra step and whipped mine using my hand mixer for just a few minutes.  I'll admit that it's a little greasy at first, but it does an amazing job (and no chemicals!).  

I've also been using just plain, whipped coconut oil as a facial moisturizer and eye makeup remover.  I was worried that it might make me break out, but my skin has never been softer.  I have also been using it on my hair and it's done absolute wonders for my dry, damaged locks.  I've used it as a masque by saturating it with oil, putting a plastic bag over it and heating it with a blow dry for about 5 minutes, then leaving it on for about another hour before washing as usual.  It makes my hair so soft.  I also use just a little to help with fly-aways.

My next move is to make some lip balm whenever I get all the ingredients.  I've wanted to make lip balm for the longest time, so I'm super excited about trying my hand at it.  Hopefully it will be successful enough that I can sell a few tubes in my Etsy shop.  We'll see though.

BTW, if you're wondering why my posts have been so few and far between, it's because I honestly haven't had a lot to say!  Schoolwork, fixing up house, and exercising don't make for good blogging material and goodness knows I haven't been getting dresses up much to take any outfit photos.  So when something exciting comes along, I'll be sure to share, but for now I'll just be blogging when I can!

8 comments :

  1. Yay you blogged!

    I just found out I love coconut oil too. I use it plain as lotion and I love it. Especially after my once a month leg shaving. LOL
    I want to make that deodorant!!! I have been using secret and hate it because of the aluminum and toms doesn't work on me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah I just read on there that you can use straight up plain coconut oil as deodorant! I'm giong to try that tomorrow.. hopefully it works cause I sit real close to one of my coworkers. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha that's why I haven't tried it plain yet. Not sure how it would work!

      Delete
  3. This is so awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing this. I actually would like to get to where I am making a lot of my own products as well. I hate all the chemicals they use in EVERYTHING! We made our own household cleaner this week from vinegar, water and scented oil. I also hope to start making my own body wash. Good luck with your lip balm! Oh and thanks for your comments on my blog this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to make a lot of my own household products out of vinegar as well. It's so much cheaper and works just as well as the nasty chemical stuff!

      Delete
  4. I also use it and this is so so so amazing! *_*_* <3
    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't use coconut oil - my husband is allergic to it like crazy. No more Burt's Bees, certain cleaners, certain soaps, etc. IT Sucks!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I read each and every one and it really means a lot to me when people take the time to read my little blog. So please comment away! =)