Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Garden Envy

 
 (via: UGArdener)

(via: hometro)

(via: squidoo)
 
 
 (via: homeygarden)
 
 I've seen quite a few gardening posts from wonderful bloggers like Adrian and Amanda, and I can't help but be a bit jealous.  I haven't tried to garden in my backyard because we have a ton of trees and it's mostly shaded.  But after doing a bit a research, I've discovered that I can have a garden!  Leafy vegetables like arugula, bok choi, kale, lettuce, and spinach do better in the shade.  I've really wanted to grow blackberries too, but have always heard that they absolutely have to have full sun.  Not true!  They'll grow anywhere, but produce more fruit if in full sun.
So, my garden planning has begun.   I've started a little compost bin to put my food scraps in.  Hopefully I can get some nice rich soil from it.  As far as clearing out a spot for my garden, I've got a lot of work ahead of me.  Minus all the leaves I'm going to have to clear out, our soil is crap.  It's super rocky (so much so that there's a rock quarry right down the road from us).  I've also got a lot more research to do about growing from seeds, tilling, watering, pest control, bed building, and so on.  I know it's a lot of work, but to be able to grow my own food would be absolutely amazing!
If anyone has attempt gardening in a shaded area, please let me know the results!  Or if you've got any other words of wisdom, I'd love to hear them!
 
 

1 comment :

  1. Geez, I've considered making a whole Pinterest board dedicated for gardens and such. They're just so perfect and I'm determined to have the garden of my dreams one day :D
    lovely blog you have!

    xo, Samantha
    sammyblackwood.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I read each and every one and it really means a lot to me when people take the time to read my little blog. So please comment away! =)