Friday, August 10, 2012

Food Friday- Espresso

 
I recently acquired this Moka pot at the Salvation Army for about $3.00 and honestly didn't know exactly what it was when I got it.  I only knew it had something to with coffee.  Lucky for me it makes espresso!  And it's pretty darn cute.

This is what it looks like when you take it apart.  You put your water in the bottom part on the left, pack your espresso into the middle part, and then screw on the top.
Then, you just put it on the stove and it takes care of the rest.  Mine appears to be cast aluminum, so it got super hot while on the stove.
 
Next was an experiment for me.  I'm a "frugal" (a nice way to say cheap) person.  I'm not paying for a special contraption to froth my milk for a latte.  So I searched for a way to froth milk without a machine.  All I had to do was get a mason jar, add about 2/3 milk (I used vanilla soy milk), put the lid on and shake for about 40 seconds.  Take the lid off and put in the microwave for 1 minute.  
Add a shot (or two) of espresso to a mug.  I added 1 tablespoon of sugar to this, but you can adjust to your taste.  Now pour the milk into the mug while holding back the froth with a spoon.  Once all the milk is in the mug, add the froth on top.  
Now, I'm no espresso/latte/cappuccino expert by any means, but I thought it tasted pretty darn good and my husband agreed.  I'm excited to make these when it turns a bit cooler.  Have you all tried making lattes at home?  I'd love any advice or tips!!!


9 comments :

  1. I dont like coffee but this sounds so yummy!!! Alex loves coffee, and I would have NEVER known what to do with that contraption! :)

    Meg
    guppyandwhaleshark.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for Food Friday and for deicious coffee drinks. Can you make me one?!

    You are like, one of my absolute favorite new people. Total crush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I browsed your blog today and saw you have a Food Friday too! I'm telling you, great minds think alike.

      Delete
  3. Yum!!! That moka pot is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! and I also love Salvation Army so much ! We should be friends!

    Love, Polly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, this. looks. so. good. (I also wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award, which you can read about/link up here: http://teatreevintage.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-versatile-blogger-award.html) You are not obligated to do this, but I sure hope you do! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. That moka pot looks interesting. It would've taken me a while to figure it out ahah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow! Yummm I would kill for one of those now!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I read each and every one and it really means a lot to me when people take the time to read my little blog. So please comment away! =)