Thursday, January 3, 2013

Taking Time Out For Beauty


I always thought that your 20s is that period of time where you become a lady and relish in your youthfulness.  That may be the case for some, but not me.  The only thing I've done for my appearance in the last 10 years has been to change my hair color about 20 times and gain about 30 pounds.  Not exactly ideal.  And not having a job to get up and get dressed for everyday has been nice, but it hasn't exactly motivated me to care about how I look.  I've decided this is something I need to work on.  Here's what I've been doing and what I'm going to do to make myself feel more like a woman and less like the sweatpants-wearing college student that I'm regressing back to...
  • I got about 3 inches cut off my hair and it's fantastic.  I enjoyed having brightly colored hair for a while, but it caused some major damage.  Cutting most of it off has made a huge difference.  And no more bleaching for me.  Luckily I discovered that L'Oreal Excellence HiColor will lighten my dark roots just as well as a bleaching without the damage.
  • I've finally mastered straightening my hair with a brush and a blow dryer.  You all have no idea how happy I am about this.  I've had naturally curly hair for years and hated it, but I came to enjoy it by the time I got in my mid-twenties.  Well, when you bleach your hair it stretches the hair making it a frizzy mess.  Which means my days of curly hair were gone.  But thanks to a great stylist and a bristled-brush, I'm now on my way to a lovely head of hair. 
  • I've been doing the P90X stretching video everyday.  You're probably asking yourself- why I don't just do the whole routine?  Have you tried to do those things?  Even the yoga one is way out of my league right now.  The stretching video is so awesome.  It works every muscle and I feel great at the end.  I'll work my way up to those other ones.
  • I've got to get some contacts.  Don't get me wrong, I love my glasses.  But they make me feel like a full time dork and I want to have the option of not wearing them.
  • I'm going to put on my big girl panties and start wearing lipstick once in a while.  I've always felt like it makes me look like a kid who just ate a popsicle, but I'm trying to get past that.
Honestly, I know all of this sounds a little vain, but I think I've been stuck in the opposite direction for so long that I could use a little vanity.  No more going out in sweatpants and no makeup (yes...I do that.  A lot.).  I'm not going to start wearing heals to the grocery store or anything, but it won't kill me to put a little more effort into my appearance.  I have a feeling that making just small changes in my daily routine will give me a much needed confidence boost.  What do you all do to make yourself feel that extra bit of pretty?
 

5 comments :

  1. I love this post! I turned 30 last year and have been thinking how a lot about my appearance and how I am perceived (I still think I look like a kid playing dress ups!) You know what makes me feel pretty and lady like? Nice perfume; a spritz of Issey Miyake l'Eau d'Issey makes me feel pretty good :)

    http://enidtwiglet.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! Although I'm still 18, not in my 20s yet

    Sabrina
    http://thelittleowlshop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so with you on this.
    I haven't cared about my appearance since I was in middle school. Never been one to do my hair or makeup. But just recently I'm like, I want to feel good! I want to feel feminine and I want to feel sexy. Not for anyone but myself... well sometimes I want to look sexy for Joe but you know what I mean.
    Lipstick!? I feel the same way! You go girl! I have some bright red stuff I wore for Halloween when I was Courtney Love.. but for Baylee me I have no idea what shade.. or even HOW to wear lipstick. Can't wait to see the changes.
    I'm going to check out that stretch video.
    Cheers to making 2013 our year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OKAY, P90X HURTS!!! I hate that Yoga. I get mad and can't finish it. P90X is amazing, but you can't push yourself or you pretty much die. LOL You'd probably like Pilates because it's also a lot of stretching and you feel really great afterwards. I am also sick of my hair being so damaged, but I love my blonde. BUT, it gets old having frizzy and broken hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, what a wonderful post! i am 20 and still learning about myself and how i view myself personally. i usually always wear makeup, i just feel comfortable in it. i wish sometimes i felt i didn't need to!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I read each and every one and it really means a lot to me when people take the time to read my little blog. So please comment away! =)