Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Happy May Day!

(via: msnbc)

So today hundred of rallies are being held around the world in protest of various causes.  Here in the U.S., the Occupy Wallstreet movement is still going strong.  Why?  Because people are still pissed off.  And they should be.  

However, as much as I agree with the message of protest, I also believe that Americans are entirely too materialistic.   Yes, I understand you need a job making a reasonable amount of money to sustain yourself.  But you don't NEED that new iphone or that $200 pair of shoes or that BMW.  I mean I get it.  I like having nice things too.  But I think Americans have blown what the "norm" for our society is way out of proportion.
  
I think what a lot of people forget is that there's a lot more to life than just "things".  I also believe that the recession did bring a lot of people back down to earth and they are seeing what's really important.  This is why you're seeing more people doing DIY projects and gardening and learning the skills to sustain themselves and not to rely on others.   That's a great first step!  I know personally, I would love to have the skills to grow my own food, make my own clothes, and have my own business to sustain myself.  

Anyways, my point is that I think a lot of people need to step back and take a look at their lives and try to see what's really important.  I know today in other countries, they are literally fight for their lives.  But in the U.S., I feel like we're a bit too greedy with what we want out of life.  



No comments :

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I read each and every one and it really means a lot to me when people take the time to read my little blog. So please comment away! =)